Stir Up Supper with Jenn Hobby - a daily dinner idea!
Turkey Burgers with Spicy Pickle Sauce
Recipe from Food & Wine's "Favorite Healthy Recipes" contributed by Grace Parisi from Bikini Party and Real-Life Notes from Jenn Hobby
1/2 cup fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup chopped dill pickles
2 tablespoons chopped pickled hot peppers (Note 1)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
6 whole wheat english muffins or hamburger buns, split
Lettuce and sliced red onion and tomatoes, for serving
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan.
In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt with the dill pickles and hot peppers and season with salt and black pepper. (Note 2)
In a large bowl, gently knead the turkey with the paprika and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Form the meat into 6 patties, about 3/4 inch thick. (Note 3 and 4) Brush the patties with olive oil and season lightly with salt and black pepper.
Grill the patties over moderately high heat, turning once or twice, until cooked through, about 12 minutes.
Grill the English muffins on both sides until toasted, about 2 minutes.
Spread the pickle sauce on the English muffins. Top with the burgers, lettuce, onion and tomatoes. Close the sandwiches and serve right away. (Note 5)
1. I purchased "Sweet & Hot" peppers because my husband is finicky about too much heat. I encourage you to taste and smell as you go throughout your cooking, especially when it comes to adding heat.
2. You can make the spicy pickle sauce and the burger patties ahead. (I did that this morning, so when I get home from work late tonight, no prep needed! We'll just grill the burgers, toast the buns and eat!)
3. As with any burger, I like to pinch the patties in the middle to make a dimple about the size of your thumb print. It helps your burgers cook evenly and prevents them from making a dome in the middle. If you are making ahead, do not brush with olive oil until just before you grill them.
4. You could add diced sweet and hot peppers to meat too, if you like extra kick.
5. Side idea: serve with baked sweet potato fries to round out your healthy take on burgers and fries!
Enjoy! With love, Jenn